Karp Associates, Inc., founded in 1956 at its present location in Maspeth, Queens, actually has roots dating back to 1925 when Karp Metal Products was founded in a small garage in Brooklyn, NY. The original plant in Maspeth was only 5,000 square feet. Expansions in 1958, 1963 and 1989 grew the plant to its current size of 32,000 square feet.
During the late fifties and early sixties, the manufacture and sale of access doors was a "job shop" effort. In the late sixties Karp's President, Burt Gold, recognized the need to automate and expand the production of access doors for more diverse applications. More than 50 years after that decision was made, Karp Associates is leading the manufacturer and distributor of access doors in the world.